Sunday, January 19, 2014

Typing class for free?

I noticed that my 8th grader Chey was tippy tapping the keys on her keyboard the other day. (you know the scene, where you use 2 fingers for all the keys!) I told her that if she wanted to be able to type faster and not have to keep using her backspace button, she had to learn to type properly. Since we are already doing a sort of PC class, (where she learns internet safety, how to properly use social media and Microsoft, etc..) that I would look around for some type of typing instruction. (no pun intended) And, so the search began. I found a good PC game on eBay fairly cheap, at the last second I ended up paying only 99 cents plus shipping. Which isn't too bad, IF we were setting up my old desktop anytime soon. But, that won't be happening till next year. (I also went a little nutty o eBay with a bunch of games for "next year" will cover hose in a future post) So the search continued... Finally, it dawned on me, HELLO! check Google! Is this not what I am trying to teach my daughter? To look things up? Am I not on Google at least 4-5 times a day? And yet I completely spaced on simply looking up "free typing lessons". What I found was a vast amount of options, however the first thing I clicked on ended up being exactly what I was looking for! The website found is called typingweb.com.  and it is amazing so far!
First of all it is free. not a free trial, but free!! If you don't want ads, you CAN go premium, but nothing really changes if you do... Secondly, this website can be used by both teachers and homeschoolers alike. you sign up and then you can create your "class" once you do that, you add your students, or in the case of homeschoolers, your kids. You assign usernames and passwords for each child and they sign in under their own sign in to use the student portion of the site. You can see what they are doing and how well they are doing in live time.  Right now I have 2 "classes" one is junior high and one is elementary. basically I separated my older kids from the younger ones, however the only one I have set up a user name and password for is my Chey. The other kids won't start until August or September, depending on how much I still like it by then. We start this on Tuesday, I can hardly wait to get her feedback on it, she looked it over and says it looks cool, but we will see how well it fits her needs as time goes. Stay posted and we will let you all know how it goes after she's been on it for a while.

1 comment: